BULLY HORROR Man mauled to death by two XL Bullys was ‘protecting elderly mum from beasts after they leapt from neighbour’s window’

A MAN mauled to death by two XL bully dogs was reportedly protecting his elderly mum from the beasts after they leapt from a neighbour's window.

Brave passers-by tried to rip the dogs off the man after they attacked him at around 3.12pm yesterday in Stonall, Staffordshire.

A man in Staffordshire has been mauled to death by two XL Bully dogs

He died while trying to save his elderly mother from the beasts

But the man tragically died from his injuries after being mauled by the animals - which police have today said are believed to have been XL Bullys.

A witness told The Sun: "I saw it. It was so awful I can barely talk about it - but he was mauled to death and it was just horrendous.

The dogs live next door. They have been there about a year.

"They got through the hedge behind the house and appeared in the elderly lady’s garden. Her son had gone out to protect her.  

"We think the dogs were at home on their own because there were no cars outside at the time. I guess they escaped through a window.

She added: "Both dogs set on him. Neighbours came out to help but many stood on this side of the fence because they were too frightened to get involved.  

"One brave man got a big stick and was hitting the dogs and trying to get them off but the dogs just took no notice. They were in a frenzy. 

"Eventually he got one of the dogs off the man and the other ran back through the hedge to its home - but by then it had been going on for 15 to 20 minutes."Another local said the dogs’ owner turned up in his van along with his 18-month-old daughter just as dozens of police vehicles also arrived.

They said: "He turned up after it had happened and was arrested.  

"He’s in the habit of leaving the dogs at home in the ground floor flat but with the window open and they escaped through that. It’s not the first time this has happened. 

"About six months ago they escaped and chased another dog into the Premier shop.

"The owner and customers were forced to hide behind the counter before the dogs left.

"These are very big muscular dogs. They say the dogs are only as good as their owners and these were bred for aggression."

A worker in the Premier shop confirmed that they had called the police after the two uncontrolled dogs burst into the shop about six months ago. 

She said: "It was terrifying - and it was all reported to the police."


Members of the public tackled one of the dogs after the attack - with the other dog eventually locked away in the owner's flat.

Police have today said that one of the dogs died after being restrained and the other died after an injection was given by a vet.

In the horrific scenes, St Peter's Primary Academy was placed on lockdown, with children prevented from leaving "for safety reasons".

A man in his thirties has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter, after initially being arrested on suspicion of having dogs dangerously out of control.

It comes as Rishi Sunak today confirmed XL Bully dogs will be banned by the end of the year to stop violent attacks.

Mr Sunak said: "It's clear this is not about a handful of badly trained dogs, it's a pattern of behaviour and it cannot go on."

Photos emerged yesterday of the scene of the terrifying attack that unfolded near the local school.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokeswoman said: "Upon arrival we found a man who had sustained multiple life-threatening injuries and was in a critical condition.

"Ambulance staff administered advanced life support and advanced trauma care to him at the scene.

"Treatment continued en route to Queen Elizabeth Hospital where he was conveyed by land ambulance for further treatment.

"Unfortunately, after arrival at hospital, despite the best efforts it became clear that nothing more could be done to save him he was confirmed deceased."

Superintendent Tracy Meir said: "I would like to offer my condolences to the loved ones of the man who tragically lost his life in this horrendous dog attack. We are continuing to support them at this incredibly difficult time.

"Detectives continue to investigate and we have taken statements, viewed CCTV and carried out house-to-house enquiries in the local area but are keen to speak to anyone with information."

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.